Post Op Instructions for Parotid or Neck Surgery
- Diet: After undergoing general anethesia, you may experience some nausea and occasionally vomiting. Drink clear liquids and eat bland food. Gradually resume a regular diet as tolerated.
- Activity: Elevate the head as much as possible. Sit in a recliner or elevate your head with pillows. This helps reduce swelling and bruising. Avoid bending, straining or lifting. Most patients are able to return to work in 5-7 days.
- Wound Care: You will have a dressing over the incision and may have a drain in place. keep these dry. If a drain is present, it will drain for a few days after surgery. You may bathe, but do not shower. Once the dressings are removed, clean with the hydrogen peroxide on Q-tips, dry, and apply antibiotic ointment as prescribed. If you have increasing pain, redness, swelling or fever ove 101 degrees Fahrenheit, report this to your doctor. These can be signs of infection.
- Medications: You will be given prescriptions for pain medication. take as directed. Pain medication may cause nausea. Take it with a small amount of food like crackers. You may also be given a medication to dry salivary gland secretions. Take as directed.
- Follow-up: You will need to have your sutures removed when instructed by Dr. Simpson. The hospital should make you a follow up appointment , if not call our office @ 706-546-0144 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Simpson.